MEET ATLANTA BASED ARTIST: SPOON.
After working in the Architecture and Urban Planning Profession for nearly a decade in Seattle, studying Urban Design in Paris, and managing projects all over the world, SPOON developed a strong appreciation for graphic communication and elegant design. Combined with a long-standing passion for history and culture, it was a natural progression for her to begin developing unique pieces of artwork in a new style, based on a simultaneously simple and complex intent:
“WHAT IS THE MINIMAL AMOUNT OF INFORMATION THE BRAIN NEEDS TO PERCEIVE A SUBJECT?”
This analysis, of only the essential elements, draws upon the ideas of minimalism that SPOON has studied and lived. In her work, she is constantly evaluating the resolution and complexity that a subject warrants and redacts it to its finest point. Then, with an almost mathematical precision, she applies the initial principals that she set when creating this style of painting – limited point sizes, restricted to a grid, historic and cultural influences. This blend of contemporary and historical, art and science, is what makes her artwork so adaptable and her client base so diverse.
As a LEED Green Accredited Design Professional, SPOON is always conscious of the materials and methods she uses in creating her artwork. From sourcing local small businesses to using non-toxic and environmentally safe mediums, SPOON makes sure that she is using the best materials on the market while maintaining a sense of responsibility.
Moving throughout a room changes the way SPOON’s paintings are experienced. Depending on the nuances of your angle, distance and aperture, her artwork will constantly be changing in clarity, giving it a uniquely dynamic character that is always best experienced in person.
Image courtesy of Bob Dein
FEATURED GALLERY EXHIBITS AND AWARDS:
- ATLANTA BRAVES - New Suntrust Stadium
- TEDxPeachtree (TED Talks) - Featured Artist
- Bloomingdale's Lenox Square - Solo Exhibit
- ADAC (Atlanta Decorative Arts Center) - Solo Exhibit 'Early i-Nnovations'
- Studio 905 Gallery - Gallery Exhibit
- Defoor Centre Atlanta - Gallery Exhibit
- GLA Gala (Georgia Lawyers for the Arts) - Featured Artist
- San Marco Festival of the Arts - Featured Artist
- Best in Show - Peachtree Hills Festival of the Arts (Atlanta, GA)
- Best in Show - Ponce Festival of the Arts (Atlanta, GA)
- Patron's Choice Awards - Gasparilla Festival of the Arts (Tampa, FL)
- Publication: Culture Climax
- Publication: Howard Alan Events
- Publication: Discover ADAC 2013